top of page

"This is it. I am going to give birth today."

«I found out being "open-minded" even meant being so towards any complications... »

Given my husband nor I have ever been pregnant or parents before, we decided to keep an open-mind though the entire pregnancy and birthing process. Towards the term-end of pregnancy the team at my clinic started asking us what our "birth plan" or birth "requests" were. To be honest, we weren't even sure what that question meant. I just wanted to be able to give birth to a healthy baby. I found out being "open-minded" even meant being so towards any complications... I knew something was different when the pain between contractions wouldn't subside. Although my water never broke I felt I was going into a slow labor. So, we went to the hospital (we had walk-throughs during our pre-parenting classes just weeks prior). I was 3cm dilated. The nurse performed tests to see if I was leaking amniotic fluid (If you are losing fluid not having the baby within 24hrs could cause infections and complications). It was around 2am when the test confirmed I was. However, after an emergency ultrasound confirmed I had enough fluid, I was released to labor at "the comfort of my own home". That night was the most uncomfortable night of my life. Contractions came at least every 5-10mins. After soaking for about 4 hours in the bath to help alleviate pain, I couldn't physically or mentally take it anymore. I called for my husband as tears rolled down my face to help get me to the hospital. This is it. I am going to give birth today.

We were less than thrilled with our Midwife. She claimed no change from the previous night even after hours of laying in pain after getting to the hospital. Our requests for a doctor were taken un-noticed. The midwife had just left our room to order pitocin to induce my labor when the nurse who diagnosed me the night before came in for her second shift and insisted she diagnose me again asap. The nurse stated I was at the least 5cm dilated with contractions 3mins apart and being induced was absolutely not necessary. It was at this time I (and my pain) was finally taken more seriously by staff. We didn't see my midwife again until I was "mid-push". Thank-goodness for the nurse!! The first epidural didn't take and the second wore off around the last 20 minutes of labor. It was great. Not. My husband was the best birth coach I could've asked for. Our daughter arrived at 1:38a the next morning (a week early) with all 10 fingers and toes. I couldn't imagine how heart-broken I would've been had I expected some grandiose "birth plan" I conjured up only to receive the latter. Either way, none of it mattered anymore with my daughter finally in my arms.

Please share this story on your wall, and contribute to more openness around the birth experience:

Single post: Blog_Single_Post_Widget
bottom of page